Monday, December 14, 2009

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, reviewed by Meghna Talreja

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

Reviewed by
Name: Meghna Talreja
School: Raghubir Singh Junior Modern School, Humayun Road, New Delhi.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl is the story of Willy Wonka, the whacky inventor, and a poor boy named Charlie Bucket.
All that Charlie longs for is a Wonka chocolate! Every day he passes Wonka’s chocolate factory where he can smell the scrumptious chocolate. But Charlie can afford it just once a year – on his birthday, when his whole family contributes the money for Wonka’s Whipple- Scrumptious Fudgemallow delight.
One day, a notice appears announcing that five lucky children would win a Golden Ticket. The finders of these tickets would get a guided tour of the Chocolate factory by the great Willy Wonka himself! The Golden Tickets had been concealed in ordinary chocolate bars.
Does Charlie find a Golden Ticket? Will he be able to see the luscious Chocolate River and the amazing Chocolate waterfall? Will he get to ride in the great glass elevator that can travel in any direction? And who on earth are the knee-high Oompa-Loompas?
Competing with Charlie are the greedy boy, the spoilt girl, the gum chewer and the couch –potato boy!
This is one of my favourite books - a real rollercoaster read. I just could not put the book down until I finished it. My mouth watered when I read the book and I wanted to be the one to win the Golden Ticket and visit Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. I wish the wonderful world that Roald Dahl created was real!
Roald Dahl liked inventing new words and making up funny rhymes. Apparently, the idea for this book came from his school days when he and his classmates were asked by Cadburys to taste newly invented chocolate bars. He dreamt of creating his own Chocolate bar. Well! He was just like me!
I loved every bit of the book. . I am sure that Mr. Dahl enjoyed writing it as much as I enjoyed reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment